Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Cinnamon-pear pancakes

I've had the opportunity to do some self-examination lately over why I haven't done much baking for Chloe.

It was a multi-step process. First, I noticed that I hadn't done any baking for Chloe in quite a long time, even though our pantry is stuffed with virtually every gluten-free flour available, bought during the "Oh my god my child is allergic I must combat this situation by buying every product available" phase, shortly after her official diagnosis. Next, I observed my gut reaction to that thought, which was, "I don't waaaannna!" Taking a step back from the guilt--the horrible mommy-guilt about not baking for my milkeggwheat allergic child even as the rest of us were chowing on homemade bread on a regular basis--I remembered that objectivity does serve a purpose.

So I applied a little objectivity to the situation, and came to the following conclusion: Baking without eggs, wheat, or even milk is a time-consuming, somewhat confusing process that often yields crappy results.

After I thought this, I (objectively) decided that maybe one loaf of bread and one batch of pancakes wasn't enough evidence. And I don't remember the pancakes tasting all that bad. So I decided to give it another try.

I pulled out my Whole Foods Allergy Cookbook and found their Peach Pancakes recipe. At least, I thought, it would be an excuse for Andrew to put lots of different little measured-out ingredients in a bowl and get to stir. He loves to bake with me.

Before I give the recipe, let me say that these pancakes were REALLY GOOD. Yes, you could definitely tell they were not "normal" pancakes but they had many of the characteristics one associates with regular wheat pancakes: a fresh-off-the griddle smell, they were not too sweet, they cohered well--a problem with egg-free baked goods (and are still doing so 10 hours later), and a faint taste of cinnamon that really did make you forget about the slightly gritty gluten-free texture.

Let me add that my son ate one and a half of them happily, and my husband even ate two smothered in syrup and pronounced them good. For a guy that would rather eat bacon and eggs cooked in bacon grease, that's saying something.

Here's the recipe. I changed the flour content and the liquid; I also modified the egg replacer, that is to say, since I don't have any, I improvised.
Preheat skillet about halfway through adding ingredients, to medium heat, and add a light coating of grease--I use Pam vegetable oil spray.
1 cup oat flour
1/2 cup buckwheat flour
1/2 cup tapioca flour
3 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp xanthan gum (Bob's Red Mill makes it)
2 Tbspns honey
2 Tbspns vegetable oil
1 1/2 cups vanilla flavored Rice Dream
1 can of pears, drained, liquid reserved. Crush pears coarsely with a fork and add to batter.
1/2 cup of the reserved liquid, save the rest for another use.
Place small dollops in skillet. They will cook more slowly than wheateggmilk pancakes. Flip once, and when done, serve warm.

YUM!! Chloe ate three of them right off the bat and fussed all morning if she didn't have a pancake chunk in her hand while playing.

No comments:

Post a Comment