Saturday, January 16, 2010

I'm trying a gluten-free diet

About four days after stuffing myself silly over the holidays I felt heavy, tired, and bloated, and my digestive system was out of whack. These feelings coincided with a post on a blog I read regularly, Karina's Kitchen, about how many people have a gluten sensitivity and don't know it, and that our bodies were not designed to consume large amounts of the high-gluten products our modern food industry produces. If you want a light fluffy Wonder bread, add more gluten! Our bodies are just not designed to handle all this, and it wreaks havoc on our system in ways we may not realize.

So this got me thinking. I should try a gluten-free diet. I read the article posted on Karina's Kitchen one evening, and the next morning I determined to go gluten-free (but first I had to let the two frozen chimichangas I'd JUST eaten work their way through my system).

This was not as hard as it sounds for three reasons, number one: We have been serving Chloe a gluten-free diet for a year and a half now, and so the recipes, crackers, cereals, flours and grains were already on hand. I mean, literally, already in the house.

Number two: I'm starting to train again for a sprint triathlon in May and I need to lose weight; if I am not eating gluten then I am not eating flour tortillas, cinnamon rolls, crackers, and cookies that are loaded with sugar, fat and calories.

Number three: I wanted to take a glimpse into Chloe's world.

It's been eight days now and I can honestly say I don't miss gluten all that much. I recognize that I already feel healthier because I am choosing healthier food to put on my plate in the absence of gluten--fruits, veggies. For example yesterday the cafeteria at school was serving my favorite meal: chili soup, cinnamon rolls, and mac n' cheese. I usually eat all of that plus crackers and some broccoli and peaches. Yesterday without the mac n cheese, cinnamon rolls, and crackers, my plate looked more colorful, lighter, and fresher (as fresh as canned fruits and veggies can be).

Right at the moment, I am actually craving some of Chloe's blue corn and oat pancakes with a big dollop of applesauce on top.

Snacking has proved more of a challenge; I let the m&m supply run out because of the aforementioned weight loss goals, and what's left are triscuits, knackebrod, bread, and ginger snaps, all off-limits to me right now. So I stirred up some gluten-free chocolate teff pudding which both Chloe and I loved--it's the recipe right off the bag. My new favorite snack is brown rice cakes with sunbutter spread.

After all the reading I've done on eating consciously--whether you are vegetarian or vegan with a moral objection to eating animals, or have food allergies or care for someone with food allergies where eating consciously is a matter of life and death--the gluten-free attempt fits.

One of my friends newly blogging about vegan cooking mentioned that she is an all-or-nothing person. I am not like that--I prefer to do the best I can and leave it at that. I have many things going on in my life and my nature is to enjoy them all in their myriad imperfections, eating consciously included.

However, gluten-free eating is not like that. Gluten inhabits your gut and affects it long after you've eaten the last crumb of Cheez-Its. It takes many days for your system to recover from gluten--the little hairs in your small intestine take weeks to regain their springiness after being laden with lava-like gluten. Gluten-free eating IS an all-or-nothing prospect. I've read enough to know that if you have celiac disease or a gluten sensitivity, you can't even ingest a crumb left in the jam jar by your spouse.

One reason I'm not missing gluten all that much is that some of my favorite foods are naturally gluten-free: California rolls, tamales, taco salad, and yes, blue corn and oat pancakes and chocolate oat brownies with chocolate frosting...mmm...

I still make bread in the bread machine for my family. I've got two teenage boys in the house who love to make various sandwiches with homemade bread, but I make it for them and put it away.

My husband was very supportive of this effort. He is in support of anything I might do to make myself feel better, happier, so that I can give back to the family.

By eating this way, I do feel a kinship with Chloe in that we are both eating consciously.

What are your favorite gluten-free recipes?

3 comments:

  1. I'm so glad I found your blog. I completely understand where you are coming from. I have a 6 yo boy who is allergic to wheat, all nuts, eggs, soy, sesame,and we recently found out, lentils. And I have a 14 mo girl who doesn't seem to be allergic to anything.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am from India mother of 4.5 yrs old girl whk is severely allergic to milk nuts and mushroom. There is no government laws here for such kids. All schools are denying admissions please help.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am from India mother of 4.5 yrs old girl whk is severely allergic to milk nuts and mushroom. There is no government laws here for such kids. All schools are denying admissions please help.

    ReplyDelete