Thursday, April 2, 2009

Three-day trip

This week was the first time I was away from Chloe for more than one night, with a care-giver other than my husband.

It was nerve-wracking, stressful, and hectic preparing for the trip. My husband and I were going to leave the kids with their Grandma and Grandpa for 3 1/2 days while we went to a conference.

I love the kids' Grandma and Grandpa dearly. Andrew was, is, and will always be fine at their house, he is a hoss and can eat anything. But poor Chloe, with her multiple food allergies--I worried so much about her safety. Preparing for her to have extended time at a care-giver's house is very different than preparing for Andrew. Toss a few clothes and his toothbrush in a bag, Andrew's good to go.

For Chloe, I put together the lists of foods and strategies for avoiding a reaction in the earlier posts. I agonized over that list, going over and over it, and talking it over with my husband as to whether I had forgotten anything. I photocopied her allergy plan, as well as the sheets listing her forbidden ingredients. I answered "can she have..." questions.

I worried especially because my mother-in-law cooks very differently than I do, and at the very least, was not used to the way Chloe has to eat.

So I spent much of this past Sunday (recovering from an overnight trip to Longmont Friday and Saturday) making Chloe-safe pancakes, rice noodles, and putting together a box of fruits and other things she could eat at Grandma and Grandpa's house.

Around dinner time that day, I took the box over to their house and sat with them for an hour going over everything.

As we talked I was reassured...Grandma is the most practical person I know, and when she understands the need for something, she's right on board. Grandpa wrestles, wiggles, and plays with the kids, and when it comes down to the practical stuff--he does what he's told.

I am so proud to say that Chloe was just fine!!! Grandma gave her rice noodles, beans, baked potatoes, the peach pancakes I made for her, and fruit. She tried apples, bananas, and even pickles, and Chloe refused to eat those, picky child that she is. Grandma carried the epi-pens with her and both Grandma and Grandpa got them safely to school and back every day.

I had a trial run with the kids' babysitters during that trip to Longmont, on which day my husband had a track meet and could not be home. I did the same thing for the babysitter--preparing food, going over the lists, showing how to use the epi-pens.

I'm happy to say that that day went well, too.

The only glitch of my three-day trip was true to form, similar to going on a ten-day skiing trip with no mishaps then stubbing your toe as you arrive home. I was just getting back into town when Chloe's preschool director called, saying another child had given her a dorito and she had hives on her mouth, should she have Benadryl (she had not ingested the dorito). Yes, 1/2 teaspoon please, according to plan, and then please watch her.

My three-day trip away was very successful, in terms of Chloe's care--and all else as well! I can't wait to see the kids when my school day is done. I can't wait to give them their stuffed three-stage rockets! I am looking forward to feeding them, bathing them, and tucking them into bed with stories--for the next many months.

Thank you, Grandma and Grandpa!

No comments:

Post a Comment